The Macs

Monday, May 14, 2012

the privilege of being a mama


There was a time when I dreaded Mother's Day. It was on Mother's Day 2009 that I realized what an incredible privilege it is to be a mom. While I still technically was a mom...and everyone so sweetly reminded me of that...there was something so horribly difficult about facing that day without my daughter. I knew I would always be Cora's mom, but I honestly didn't feel much like a mom at all. I had always taken it for granted that when we were ready to have children *boom* I would get pregnant and then I would be a mom...a happy mom with a happy little family. It wasn't until I was waking up every morning to empty arms when I ached for my arms to be full, that my eyes were opened. Yes, Mother's Day is most definitely a day to celebrate, but it is also a day full of heartache and pain for so many. 

While I don't dread Mother's Day anymore, it is a bittersweet day for me. It is a day when I am reminded of how much I miss being a mom to my baby girl but a day that I am also reminded of how thankful I am to be able to say that being a mom is my job again. It is a day that I once took for granted, but now see with new eyes. And it is a day that I hurt for all the women, who for whatever reason, are having to face Mother's Day with a broken heart.

I am privileged to be a mom. 

Right now, at this time, God has entrusted me with two boys...His calling on my life is to be a mom to my boys. If you are like me, you have often wondered what God's purpose for your life is...what is His plan for me? I want to do great things for Him. I want to fulfill His purposes in my life. While God very well may have other purposes for my life that I need to seek Him in, one thing I can be sure of is that His purpose for me at this time in my life is to be Levi and Griffin's mom. What an awesome purpose and responsibility. There is nothing I would rather do than be a mom to my boys, but sometimes I can lose sight of that if I start seeking to find purpose only outside of my home.

I remember being really challenged by a BSF home training sheet from last year about the privilege of being a parent. I dug it out over the weekend to remind myself of what it said...

It is a delightful wonder that God has chosen us to receive His gift of children and to realize that it is our great blessing to love, protect, and train them. As the years begin to go by, it is sometimes a surprise to discover that in addition to impacting a child's life God accomplishes another purpose in parenting. Through the challenges, frustrations, joys, and observation of human nature in our little ones, we, ourselves, can be personally conformed more and more to the image of our Lord Jesus Christ. What an added dimension this gives to the calling of a parent--God is using the children He has given me to mold me...

...Recognizing the place God wants you to be, being satisfied in it, and doing your part diligently are significant steps for parents. It is possible to overlook the seriousness of this privileged role. The temptation is great to respond to the world's clamoring that only outside the home can an adult do something worthwhile, fulfilling, or beneficial for mankind. And it is very easy to neglect the daily opportunities to nurture a child. (BSF International, Isaiah 2010)

As another Mother's Day rolls by, I am praying that I would remember what an incredible privilege it is to be a mama. That I would be content in the place God has called me as a parent. That I would see God's incredible purpose in my job as Levi and Griffin's mom. And that not only would the Lord use me to impact the lives of my children, but that He would also use my children to mold me. 

It is a privilege to be a mama. 
Let's never forget that.

20 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Although I can't even begin to imagine what you went through with Cora, this Mother's Day was bittersweet for me too. I would have been about 6 weeks from my due date, but, sadly, I had a miscarriage back in the fall. As we celebrated my mom and mother-in-law yesterday, I couldn't help but feel sad that we weren't celebrating my "mom-to-be" status too.

I guess it will just make me appreciate and love that little guy/girl when the time is right. In God's time. :)

May 14, 2012 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I have that exact BSF sheet in my Bible as my daily reminder! It is so true.....I am definitely being molded!

May 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger mommy26baybas said...

Hi !! I sent you a message to the email I saw.I wasn't sure if you recieved it.Could you let me know if I need to send to a different email,please.Thank you so much.God Bless you !!!

May 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

May I never neglect the opportunity to nurture. Thank you, thank you for that beautiful reminder.

May 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger E @ Oh! Apostrophe said...

Love this post. Thanks for reminding me!

May 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was beautiful! Sometimes I get so caught up in my kids misbehaving and getting frustrated that I forget what a joy and privilege it is that they are in my life!

May 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger The Farmers Nest said...

Amen

May 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really needed to hear that today. As my children have started school I've really struggled with finding value in what I do and trying to find out God's purpose for my life. This spoke volumes to me - thank you and God bless your sweet family.

May 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger Immeasurably More Mama said...

Beautiful. I rarely comment but always enjoy reading your blog, Jess. There were many Mother's Days filled with sadness for me so I have compassion for women who face this day with broken hearts. Now I am privileged to be the mama of two boys. I have often said they are God's way of sanctifying me. :) Love them to pieces...but they sure can bring out the best and worst parts of me!

May 15, 2012 at 6:12 AM  
Blogger Ranee Brokaw said...

what a great post. thank you!

May 15, 2012 at 6:38 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

great post jes! Love it

May 15, 2012 at 7:45 AM  
Blogger Andy and Cari said...

Such a great reminder... That I needed... Today. Thanks for speaking truth.

May 15, 2012 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger DianeTaylor said...

Hi Jess - thank you for reminding me what a privilege and an honor it is to be a mom. It was a very hard day for me, without my Jonathan's voice in my ear or his arms around me for a good hug. Being a mom to an angel is a hard job - but I got thru the day with tears and hugs from family members. God called me to be a mother - now he is calling me to redefine my life and look ahead to a different future. Definitly not what I pictured it to me!

God Bless you and your sweet family! Happy Belated Mothers Day!

xxoo - Diane

May 15, 2012 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Auntie EM said...

Beautiful post.....You inspire me to want to be a better person and a better mom. I was married for 7 years before my husband and I adopted our only child, our son, who is now 29 and a father now too. I think I was supposed to learn patience from waiting 7 years but....well, still learning. Take care and have a wonderful day.

May 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Melissa Joy said...

Perfectly on the spot, Jess. You constantly steal the words from my heart. I don't even really know you, but I love you.
Being molded right along there with you, and thankful for God's mercy right through the bittersweetness~
Melissa

May 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger anislandlife said...

Thanks so much for this post. Even though I know this, it is so great to be reminded!!

May 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Maydelin said...

beautiful words!!

May 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM  
Anonymous EricaG said...

So well said, Jess. Although I haven't experienced a loss or infertility, on Mothers' Day I think of the women who have.

May 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

A beautiful post, Jess... as always you are an inspiration.
And a happy late mother's day to you.

May 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Megan said...

Just wanted to say I love your blog and gave you an award over on mine. Wanted to give others a chance to love you too! http://girlmeetscamera.com/2012/05/catching-up-blog-awards/

May 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home