The Macs

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

december one

Do you have your Advent calendars ready to go? Today is the day to start. I loved reading all the comments about your Advent calendars and traditions. You had some great ideas. I may have to steal some of them.

I decided not to make an Advent calendar this year since Levi is so little, but I am bookmarking lots of ideas for next year. This year Joel and I decided to focus more on preparing our own hearts for Christmas and including Levi in that as much as we can.


When I saw that Nancy Guthrie had a book of Advent readings I had to order it. You have probably figured out by now that she has become one of my favorite authors. Nancy has such a passion for God's Word and I can't wait to read this collection she put together.

I have found in my own life that I've too often allowed Christmas to "sneak up on me." I've allowed the busyness of purchasing presents and planning travel and participating in Christmas pageants and parties to crowd out a quiet anticipation of the wonder of incarnation. Too many Christmas mornings I've realized that while my presents were wrapped, my heart was completely unprepared to truly take in the Gift.
 - Nancy Guthrie

I can totally relate to that. Can you? So often December becomes too busy and too stressful and I fail to prepare my heart and truly celebrate Jesus. Christmas comes and goes and I hardly focus on Him at all. Joel and I want this year to be different. So, along with reading this book we decided to hold each other accountable with a little Christmas challenge.

       

For the next 25 days Joel and I are committing to prepare our hearts for Christmas. For us that means being in the Word every single day...even on days that are crazy and busy because of the holidays. I am really excited about doing this with Joel and now you can keep us accountable too! 

If you are needing a Christmas challenge of your own, we would love for you to join us. If you haven't ever established a regular quiet time with God, what better time than now?

But Mary treasured up all these things,
pondering them in her heart.
Luke 2:19

* * * * * * *


To enter the DaySpring $50 giveaway leave a comment on this post.
Comments close Friday.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That actually sounds like not only a neat challenge but also a cool idea for a 15 min date with each other every night(at least thats all we could get at my house which is more than we get now!).

December 1, 2010 at 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to run out to the local Christian bookstore today to see if I can find the Advent book you mentioned. I'm always searching for a way to remain Christ centered during the hustle & bustle of the holiday season.

December 1, 2010 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger nichole said...

How encouraging it is to me each time I read your blog. You are so real and make yourself so transparent to everyone around you and those of us who read your blog! I can totally relate to this particular most. It's so easy to get caught up in the hustle & bustle of Christmas. I really think it saddens the heart of Jesus and grieves His spirit when we leave Him out! I have 3 little ones ages 6-19 months and I feel so strongly that this is the year to make sure they really see Christ in Christmas! I am going to join you and Joel on this challenge and I'm excited! Thank you for this awesome post!

December 1, 2010 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Carisa said...

That book sounds like a fantastic idea. Can't wait to see if our bookstore has it. THANKS for the idea!

December 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Our church has encouraged us to do a reading plan for the month of December and it is titled "Rediscovering the Christmas Season". I am so excited to be in the word everyday in anticipation of our Savior's birthday. If anyone is interested, the reading plan can be found at youversion.com!

December 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

we're in!

December 2, 2010 at 1:08 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I was going to leave a similar comment to Katie - youversion.com has a Bible reading plan set up for the Advent season. My husband and I started yesterday!

December 2, 2010 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I have heard amazing things about this Advent book! Let us know how it is!

I am sure this has already been recommended to you but in case it hasn't, Treasuring God in Our Traditions by Noel Piper is an amazing book to read when you are thinking through and planning what traditions you want to do as a family.

December 2, 2010 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger Shyla said...

Thanks for your post! I ordered the book and can't wait to read it!
My kids are 4, 3, 1.5 and due in Feb! :) We want our kids to know Christ. We want them to know why we celebrate Christmas - it's not about STUFF! I can't wait to read it! Thanks for sharing and for the challenge!
Have you read "Treasuring God in our Traditions" by Noel Piper? I am using that this year with forming how we celebrate with our kids!

December 2, 2010 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger KT said...

Have you seen the Christmas Family Advent book she has written "Let every heart prepare him room". We started it yesterday. It may be some years before you could use it with Levi but it is still such a treasure.

December 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the challenge and I am going to start today! A neat activity to help prepare kids is the book What God Wants for Christmas. It is a poem book and comes with 7 little gifts they open and reuse. You open a present every day and on the 7th day is the gift God wants. It is not only a book but a little nativity scene that the kids can put together. Very neat book and activity to help kids think about God in the giving season. Look on Christianbook.com

December 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

a true delight to see you today. thank you for your testimony and for urging all of us to continue our love relationship with the Savior.
when one things about it, the King of Kings in a stinky barn, as a wee one relying on his mum for sustenance...
well, it leaves one speechless and we've nothing more, we KNOW nothing more, than to bow at His feet.
blessings to you guys.

December 11, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home