The Macs

Thursday, November 18, 2010

that cozy-warm feeling


You know that cozy-warm feeling you get when it starts getting cold outside? You want to pull out your sweaters and throw on a scarf as you walk out the door. You want to sit by a crackling fire in the evenings and snuggle under a blanket...or turn on the space heater if you don't have a fireplace like me! You want to bake something or sip a warm drink. You can't wait to pull out the Christmas decorations and the excitement of the holidays starts setting in.

It is starting to feel like winter around here. We even had a few snowflakes falling in Kansas yesterday. And today I am having that cozy-warm feeling. But not because of the weather or the sweater I wore this morning. This cozy-warm feeling is because of a group of ladies who were such an encouragement to me this morning.

About three weeks ago I was sharing with someone how I really felt like God was asking me to be faithful to share my story. I wasn't sure what that looked like, but I knew that I needed to be obedient. Remember this prayer I shared with you a few weeks ago?

I too pray that as long as I have breath I would be faithful to use Cora's story for His glory, that I wouldn't stop asking Him to bring forth the fruit that He desires from her short little life.

That really is my desire and I want to be faithful even if it is uncomfortable for me. Guess what? The next day I received an e-mail from Stephanie asking if I would be willing to share with her Bible study group...in three weeks. Yikes! Three weeks meant not very much time to prepare. And this time it was a small group. A small group of women I had never met before. I would be sitting at a table amongst them, not standing at a podium with my notes. I could have come up with a thousand excuses why I shouldn't do it, but I felt that nudge telling me I needed to be obedient. Even if it meant stepping out of my comfort zone again.

So this morning I hopped into my car and put the church address in my phone to get directions. I got to my destination and could tell that I was totally in the wrong place. I only had five minutes before I was supposed to be there. I had communicated with Stephanie over e-mail and didn't even think to ask for her phone number in case I got lost. I was starting to feel nervous and I hadn't even started talking yet! Fifteen minutes later I figured out how to get there (yes, I am directionally challenged) and I quickly prayed in the parking lot that the Lord would still use me to speak His truth even though I was late and frazzled.

What a blessing to be a part of that Bible study this morning. The ladies were still giving announcements when I walked in and they were so gracious to me. I shared my story and what God had been teaching me and then they asked me questions. Through interacting with them I got to hear some of their stories and what God had been doing in their lives. These women had such a desire to know God deeply. So cool.

After the Bible study Kristy offered to take me out to lunch. She has been following my blog since Cora got sick, but I had never met her before. I loved our time together. She shared her heart so openly with me and I left feeling encouraged and challenged. Thanks Kristy!

Don't you love that? You go somewhere hoping that you can be a blessing to those around you and you leave feeling like you were the one who was blessed.

That's how I feel today.
Blessed.
I just have that cozy-warm feeling.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Jess! That is amazing. Amazing job going for it... and thank you. Thank you for shining God's light through you so brightly.

November 18, 2010 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

So happy to hear that! Here's to hoping that cozy-warm feeling sticks around!

November 18, 2010 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger The Moffats said...

So proud of you, Jess...and I can just see Cora clapping for you in heaven :) What an amazing God we serve, what a sweet baby girl you were given, and what a faithful servant you have been. Love and hugs.

November 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger Kylie and crew. said...

I love that cozy warm feeling! At first I thought you were going to write that you own all of those scarves! I wish you lived in my town so I could take you to lunch! You have an incredible story.

November 18, 2010 at 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess, I wish you lived close to me so I could give you a big warm hug :) You are such an encouragement to me! I got chills and tears in my eyes as I read your post. You amaze me at your strength! Thanks for sharing your story!

Katie Martin
jeramiekatie@bellsouth.net

November 19, 2010 at 6:54 AM  
Blogger Townsendpartyof5 said...

Keep sharing with all of us, please! You are a daily inspiration to me... whether it's stories like this post, or picture of Levi's chubby fingers locked around a 4-wheeler, or the way you articulate new experiences of joy in your life... keep sharing with us!

So proud of you and how you are able to be Cora's messenger for God's wonder.

November 19, 2010 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

YES I LOVE THAT FEELING TOO!!!!!
:)

Way to be obedient - is not easy I know.

<3

November 19, 2010 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger meg duerksen said...

so beautiful.
i am so glad you did it! getting lost and all....it's awesome to see your obedient heart in action.
:)

November 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Beki - TheRustedChain said...

I am so proud of you!

I'm positive those ladies were as blessed by you as you were by them.

November 19, 2010 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger nichole said...

I so admire you, your strength which I know comes from Him. Your obedience blessed the heart of the Father for sure and from it, you have gained a new friendship! Continue to be blessed!

November 19, 2010 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Raising Koehns said...

So cool - glad God is working His magic in so many ways... :-)

November 19, 2010 at 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jess! I've been wanting to write to you to thank you for coming to our church...and someone suggested writing on here!

What a blessing you are! I so appreciate your obedience to share your story, even though it is obviously still very hard for you. Your openness and honesty were soooo encouraging! The Lord is using you mightily...and I'm sure we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

I will continue to pray for you as the Lord brings you to mind...many blessings to you and your family,

Lisa Walstad, Asbury Church

December 1, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home