The Macs

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

victory

As I have been preparing to share my story again tonight, {Please pray for me if you think of it!!} I have been noticing a theme of looking in our lives for victory. That word "victory" has been stuck in my head. My grief story is really a story of victory. It could have been just a story of death and heartache and despair. But because I serve a Living God, it is a story of victory and hope. It is the story of how the Lord has shown me that even a mama who has lost her precious daughter can live an abundant life through the power of the Cross.

And guess what? I have noticed this theme of victory in so many places over the past few weeks.

At BSF we have been studying the passage in Ephesians 6 about training for battle against the enemy and putting on the armor of God. My notes talked about how Satan is working so hard to cause us to doubt God's love for us and the goodness of His will for us. Because of Satan's attacks we need to be ready and find strength in the Lord,

In order to fight one must be strong. There must be a strengthening of body and mind, and a determination to win that has its source in the full assurance that VICTORY is possible.

Another part of my notes said,

Has he planted thoughts in your mind that God made you to have an easy life without obstacles, hard work, or challenging situations? Actually, the easy life is empty, boring, frustrating, unsatisfying, fruitless, and meaningless; it is contrary to the essential character God planned for us. God created us with the desire to meet and overcome obstacles, to enjoy the fruit of success after toil, and to feel the thrill of adventure in full confidence that He is with us and will lead us to share VICTORY with Him.

A few days before Easter, my sister-in-law sent me this song and I loved it. As I listened to the words and meditated on the incredible sacrifice that Jesus made for me I was struck by the last words of the chorus.


O the blood of Jesus washes me
O the blood of Jesus shed for me
What a sacrifice that saved my life
Yes, the blood, it is my VICTORY

I loved thinking about celebrating the victory that we have in Jesus as we celebrated Easter this year. And it is because of His blood, because of His incredible sacrifice that saved my life, that I am able to have victory in the challenges that I face in my life today.

On Sunday I flipped open the bulletin as I sat down and the title of the sermon was When was the Gospel victorious? The Gifts of the Resurrection. Our pastor taught from 1 Corinthians 15. It is a great sermon. You can listen to it here. Because of the resurrection, we are given the opportunity to put our complete trust during this life in the Risen One and live in full assurance of eternal life. VICTORIOUS.

Wow. That is a lot of my random thoughts jumbled together. But don't you love when the Lord is teaching you something and it keeps popping up everywhere you go? That is how it has been for me as I have been pondering what victory looks like in my own life. 

Praise God for the victory we can have in Jesus. It is through the power of the resurrection that we as Christians are able to claim victory in whatever challenges or hardships we are facing. Is there an area in your life that you need to give to Jesus, depend on His strength, and claim His victory in today?

Yet amid all these things we are more than conquerors and gain a surpassing victory through Him who loved us. Romans 8:37 (Amplified Bible)

* * * * * * *

Oh, and one more thing...I felt like I didn't do a very good job of making time for everything I wanted to do to teach Levi about Easter. No victory there. But a wise woman, whose kids are already grown, told me that I should just keep teaching Levi about Easter even past Sunday. She said that as adults we feel like we need to just pack everything up and move on once Easter Sunday is over, but kids don't know the difference. So true. We should be thinking about Jesus' work in our lives through His death and resurrection all throughout the year anyway. It is that important. So we are going to finish up our Resurrection Eggs, keep out the He is Risen banner, keep our Easter Mountain on the table and keep talking about Easter even though it is "technically" over. Just thought I would pass those wise words on to you in case you were discouraged about not having time for everything like I was! Hope you had a wonderful Easter celebrating our Risen Lord!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw the title of your post I thought for sure you were going to be talking about getting little Griffin to sleep through the night! :)
~Melissa

April 10, 2012 at 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Tami said...

some of the best discussions i've had with my peeps were long after the easter baskets were packed away. in fact, one year anna was still asking questions about jesus dying on the cross when we were swimming ;-)

April 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

thank you so much for sharing this
i too am discouraged about not doing our ressurection eggs and using our new 'easter story" book to go with them and i needed to hear the thought to do it anyway, i dont know why i didnt think of that, but it is so true!
ally is NOT sleeping through the night yet is griffin...i am about to fall asleep right now, but i need some mommy time and i need to clean the kitchen!
saying a prayer for you and your heart tonight, someone once told me you just have to show up and God will do the rest! so, just show up and share your victorious story and he will have someone there that needs to hear it!
much love jes, thanks for always sharing!
lyss

April 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words encourage me so much. Thanks for writing and sharing so deeply and honestly. Thanks too for the words about teaching long past the "holiday" is over. I smiled and thought, "That's so right. Why didn't I think of that?" . Blessings, Jen Harnett (From Canada)

April 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I will definitely be praying for you tonight. To God be the glory and the victory!

April 10, 2012 at 7:05 PM  
Blogger Mum2twopreciousgifts said...

Beautifully written Jess. Very thought provoking.

April 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

When I saw the title of your post, I thought immediately of one of the beautiful hymns we sang at church on Sunday: "Thine is the Glory." It's here: http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/t/h/i/thineist.htm Just thought I'd share.

April 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

thanks for sharing at m2m tonight! so much that i needed to hear! i think you should write a book!!!

April 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I have been following your blog for quite a while. Thank you so much for these beautiful thoughts. It was just what I needed. Your family is beautiful! Thank you for sharing Cora's life with so many. One day you will understand and see how many people your cute little family have touched and I know for certain it will be more than you can imagine. Thank you so much! You are an inspiring Wife, Mother and Christian!

April 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM  
Blogger DianeTaylor said...

I read this post and I really tried to believe in the "victory" concept. I really want to. I want to keep Satan away - but since my son died on March 1st, I am so shattered and broken. In a million pieces that just don't fit back together anymore. I feel like I am walking down a steep staircase - and the bottom is covered in a thick smoke so I can't see the bottom. Ugh! I hate this so much. Where is the Diane I knew before this happened? I thought Easter and it's wonderful message of hope would help - but I just feel empty inside. I am clinging to Jesus today - and counting the days until I can see my beloved son again.

April 11, 2012 at 5:41 AM  
Blogger Creole Wisdom said...

I think I needed to read this today. Thank you so much Jess.

I think all too often I listen to the enemy's voice and think terrible things like, God doesn't love more or that God doesn't care about my dreams.

I'm going to sit down and write about ways I can put on the armor of God.

I hope you had a blessed Easter!

April 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger Andy and Cari said...

loved this post. I too have been thinking over tghe past few years of trial...but not with the clouded eyes of dispair...of thankfulness. I have been searching and trying to see what God has taught and evaluating if I have really appied it... or if he will have to teach me again... gulp!
we disscussed what an abundant life looks like on Sunday... and I consider mine, Caden's death included, abundant... all because of Jesus|!

April 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Auntie EM said...

Very wise words....so true that you can keep teaching children after the holiday. I love your "victory" theme. The best victory was the Savior's victory over death. Death has no sting for His believers. I know He saved us from our sins but also from death. We will all die someday but I know we will live again. Those we love who have passed on from this life are not lost to us permanently. Their memories live on, they are still themselves, and we will be with them again. Our Savior also made it possible for us to be healed from all our infirmities, including our heartache and sorrow. He made it possible for us to find joy in this life and certainly in the next, too. He is merciful and His grace is sufficient for us if we simply do what He wishes for us to do: serve Him by serving others, love, forgive, be grateful, and be the best we can be. I only know you through your blog but I find myself saying, wow, this young woman who has been through the most difficult trial a parent could go through is so strong, so resilient, so faithful, and sets such a high bar for the rest of us because of her testimony and love for her Savior, her family, and friends. You are a wonderful example and deserve all life's choicest blessings. May that happen in your life and the lives of your husband and sons. You amaze me!!!

April 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this beautiful post. And remember that Easter in the liturgical church calendar lasts until Pentecost, which I think is 50 days. So you have plenty of time :).
--Alyssa

April 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home