The Macs

Friday, May 20, 2011

Q & A {levi's room}

THANK YOU for all the sweet comments about Levi's room. I'm pretty sure I have the most encouraging readers ever! It was so fun for me to make Levi's room his own. It is quickly becoming one of Levi's favorite places to hang out and play during the day. We love it.

Just for fun, I dug out the only "before" picture I had of Levi's room. This is how it looked when we moved in. Gotta love the light blue paneling and multi-colored striped carpet! It had to go though. I just couldn't work with it.




And now to try to answer some of your questions...

* * * * *

Q: Where did you get the frame for the chicken wire thing. And what kind of paint did you use?

A: The frame is from Hobby Lobby...it was originally black. I used Krylon spray paint (True Blue) from Walmart to paint it. Any frame would work of course. I tried to find a frame at a thrift store or antique store but never came across one big enough, so I just ended up buying this one from Hobby Lobby. Make sure you wait until the frames are 50% off though...it makes them much more reasonable! Ashley has a great tutorial if you want to make one.

* * * * * 

Q: I love the multicolored card/print with levi's name and birth information on it....
was that his birth announcement?

A: The customized birth print was a gift from Megan. Thanks Megan!! She got it from My Sweet Prints. It wasn't Levi's birth announcement...just something fun for his room. Levi's birth announcements were from West Willow. There is one on the chicken wire frame too...or you can see it here.

* * * * *

Q: Can you please do a tutorial on how you added the material to the roller shades?

I wasn't sure exactly how this project was going to work. I asked the lady at JOANNS what kind of adhesive she would recommend for adhering fabric to a roller shade and she suggested Fast Grab Tacky Spray. So that is what I tried.

Basically...I cut my fabric to the size of the shade plus a little extra so that I could fold it over at the bottom. I followed the directions on the spray can and sprayed the adhesive onto the roller shade (the shade was all unrolled and spread across a table). I laid my cut fabric on the adhesive and used my fabric ruler/cutter to smooth all the bubbles and creases out. After it had dried, I trimmed the extra fabric off the edges if there was any. Then, I rolled it up and hung it in Levi's room. Pretty easy. 

The roller shades have been hanging in Levi's room for a few weeks now and I have noticed that there are creases and bubbles that are starting to show up when I pull the shades down. Bummer. Maybe I needed to use more adhesive than I did?? So, this might not be the best tutorial...but that is what I did. If anyone has used a different adhesive that worked for roller shades make sure to let us all know!

* * * * *

Q: Could you do a paint-the-tree-on-the-wall tutorial?

A: Oh man. Now I know why I don't usually have tutorials on my blog. :) 

The tree...I found a picture of a tree online that I liked the basic outline of and printed it onto an overhead transparency. I borrowed an overhead projector to shine the image onto the wall. I started with the tree trunk and branches and painted it right onto the wall following the overhead projector lines. I painted one color at a time and waited until it had dried to start the next color. I used the little sample cans from Lowes...it was plenty of paint...I don't remember the colors though.

This is what Levi did while I was painting. Look at his cute little round face! It was much easier to do projects when my little man could be contained in one place...

and when I could paint in his room while he was sleeping and he wouldn't even wake up. That seems like so long ago!

* * * * *

Q: Just wondering how you like the rocking chair. I love the one at pottery barn kids but don't want to spend that kind of money. This one looks perfect and the price is right. How much do you use it and is it comfortable?

Q: Which slip cover if any you purchased from Walmart for your rocker and ottoman?

A: I too loved the Pottery Barn chair but didn't want to spend the money. This rocking chair & ottoman from Walmart was so similar and much better priced. I read the reviews and decided to give it a shot. We have had it for a little over three years now and have been very pleased. I fed both of my babies in it every night until they were sleeping through the night. Joel and I have both sat in it every night to read the kids books before bed too. It is comfy and substantial...Joel even thinks so and that is saying a lot! The beige suede looking slip covers weren't my favorite, but the only neutral option. They are better than I expected...and I have washed and dried them several times (due to the spit-up babies) and they came out great!

* * * * *

Q: Did you make the pillows with the zebra fabric?

A: Yes, I made the zebra pillows. The fabric was from Hancock Fabrics...I think.

* * * * *

Q: What is the paint color in the room? 

A: The paint color is Benjamin Moore's Carrington Beige. Love it. In fact I love it so much that after we painted Cora's nursery this color, I repainted my whole downstairs (kitchen, living room, dining room, bathroom and mudroom) the same color. It is a great neutral.

* * * * *

Q: Will Levi be in a bed by the time the baby comes?
A: Good question. I don't know yet. :)

* * * * *

Q: Did you get closet organizers for his closet and if so, where did you find them?

A: We put the closet inserts in ourselves. The brand is Easy Track and we got them from our local lumber and hardware supply store. The shelves sit on metal pegs and are adjustable...so are the hanging rods. The green fabric bins are from Target.

* * * * *

Q: Did you build his bookshelf onto the wall?

That little mini chalkboard with the alphabet is so cute too! Is it an antique?
A: No, the book rack is from Pottery Barn Kids. It is mounted to the wall so that kids can't pull it down.

I found the mini chalkboard at a local antique store.

* * * * *

Q: Where did you get all the letters?

A: The "moo" letters are from Hobby Lobby. They were gold and I spray painted them navy blue and sanded them a little. The "L" on the dresser is from JOANNS. I used Mod Podge to cover it with graph paper.

We found the "L" above Levi's crib on the side of the road. It had fallen off an abandoned building. How perfect that it happened to be an "L" that fell off??!!

* * * * *

Q: Is Levi's room 2 different levels? It looks like when you first come in you step down?

A: A downstairs bathroom addition was added onto our house before we moved in. The bathroom ceiling is lower than the rest of our house, so when this bedroom was added upstairs they put a step in where the bathroom starts. It definitely limits where you can put furniture. Levi likes it though...he often sits on the step when he is playing in his room. It makes the room unique!

* * * * *

Q: Can you do a post that lists the blogs you frequent for sweet ideas?
A: Here are a few blogs/sites I like to look at for decorating ideas:

There are so many places to get great ideas...those are just a few I like.

* * * * *

Q: Now can we see the rest of your house? 
A: Didn't you notice how long it took me to post Levi's room tour??!! We will see. Maybe someday you can see some more of my house. :)

(photo by Gina Dreher)

Until then...here is a picture of me and sweet Cora in front of our little farm house.

Hope that answers most of your questions!

28 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Jess, you are so creative. Can you come and decorate my whole house? Ha ha. Just kidding.

No, seriously.

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

May 20, 2011 at 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Danielle H. said...

Awesome! I did have to laugh about you saying how long it took to get Levi's room tour!!! Thanks for the info and inspiration!

May 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Wow! Thank u for taking the time to answer all the questions. I just love your syle of decorating...thanks for all the great ideas!

May 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM  
Anonymous molly said...

Thank you for answering my question about the roller shades. Not sure I will try it or not! Crafting and DIY intimidate me :)

That photo of you and Cora is so sweet. I am always thankful that you have so many wonderful photos of your precious angel to share with us.

May 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Leatha said...

Jess, you are so sweet and kind to all of your readers to post all this wealth of information! Thank you so much for sharing. I know that I am very appreciative of your creativity, hard work and willingness to share!:) Thank you.

May 20, 2011 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Kristi REDISKE said...

You are so sweet to answer all the questions people have-you are just really popular-HA! You did a great job on the room- so homey and simple too-very clean looking, just love it.

May 20, 2011 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

What a talented and sweet friend I have. :) The before picture brought back lots of memories. That was always my favorite room to play in growing up because of the cool step and ceilings. You have made it look absolutely fabulous; perfect for your little guy. I really like the roller shade idea and think it would be a great thing to try in Ori's new room. It'll be interesting to see if someone has another idea for an adhesive. love you!

May 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger meg duerksen said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!!
makes me feel like doing something....painting....cleaning...crafting! love his room. it's fabulous. and unique and fun!

you rock.
show your house....it's so cute! i remember being so impressed when i came out....whenever that was? the first time. loved it all.

May 20, 2011 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Trinity said...

I love your creativity! I too had 2 little boys close in age (21 months apart) and they are the best of friends. we now have 5 kids in all, 3 boys 2 girls. Its a busy life, one i wouldnt trade, but the days when it was just my two little boys were so precious to me! Love your blog so much!

May 20, 2011 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

love your style! i love pinterest too! i wanna go paint something now. :)

May 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Taylor said...

I love the pic of you and Cora...so sweet :)

May 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Melissa Joy said...

I love the walkthrough with Levi's room, and the Q&A. You are positively inspiring, Jess.
And the last picture of you and Cora? Oh man... it melts my heart. I just love it.

May 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Alisha207 said...

Thanks for sharing! Its a gorgeous room for a gorgeous boy!
Maybe I'll have my son's room done before his little sibling comes too!

May 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Tina Coleman said...

I love the sweet picture of you and Cora! Precious!

May 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OH WOW!! I love your ideas!! You are soo CREATIVE!!

May 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

fun... love decorating :) you do an amazing job! i love how you make the neutral colors look so inviting and not drab at all!

May 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Toni :O) said...

Okay, loved all the information about Levi's room but I have to say the last picture was BEAUTIFUL of you and sweet Cora with your house in the background! Cute house and thank for sharing so much.

May 20, 2011 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger LibraryGirl62 said...

I did a wooden screen door frame with chicken wire. It held all kinds of fun stuff-pictures, fried flowers, mementos...so much fun!

May 20, 2011 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger Robert J. Nash said...

Beautiful picture with Sweet Cora in front of your house! What a TREASURE!

May 21, 2011 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger Paula Aspacher said...

what is the new wall at the end of the bed??

May 21, 2011 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Love it all!

In that last picture of you and Cora, you look *exactly* like Anne.

May 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Can we "follow" your boards on Pinterest? It's so very addicting!!! I've tried to find you to no avail~ because I love your style!
Thanks for the tour, etc. Such a cute room, and such a cute family!!
From one farmers wife to another...has your boy got his corn in the ground? It has been so wet in Indiana that I am getting beyond nervous!

May 21, 2011 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You have a gift...I could try all that and it would look messy! I love the pics of his room and the one of your kitchen with the perfectly stacked dishtowels! So when you can-ha I know you are busy and going to be more soon, post more pics. You are gifted!

and talk about a gift from God..an L on the side of the road!

May 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Country Roads said...

I always love all your pictures!! I am also curious as to why my 8.5 megipixal pictures are SO blurry when uploaded to my blog. Can you tell me what YOU use??

May 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger The Potters said...

Love it!! Thanks for sharing! Love following you guys.

May 23, 2011 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Loved your frame so much I made one for my Karson's room.

http://lifeatthesmedleys.blogspot.com/2011/05/chicken-wire-frame.html

May 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm so confused about the Walmart rocker - does yours have a slipcover on it - on their site it says you have to add a slipcover? prices start around $159? if you have the slipcover does it cover the cushion separately? does this make any sense? lol! thanks for any help

June 26, 2011 at 12:04 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Love your style! :) I have carrington beige in all 3 of our bedrooms. Can I ask where you got the image of the tree you used for your mural?

July 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home